Hey hey, how was your week? ✌🏻
Toot of the Week
Rebasing is just gaslighting for computers.— @firstname.lastname@example.org
- "I'm On It" (mikefisher.substack.com)
Mike Fisher about their favourite response when given a task.
- The science of why you have great ideas in the shower (nationalgeographic.co.uk)
Stacey Colino has the neurological explanation for the reasons you get great ideas in the shower or find bug fixes when on a walk: The default mode network in your brain.
- The internet wants to be fragmented (noahpinion.substack.com)
Noah Smith about centralised social media, why community moderation works and the trend towards a decentralised internet.
- How Roadmaps Accidentally Make Teams Powerless (goretro.ai)
David Pereira about four common reasons roadmap trap teams and negatively impact the results and what to do instead.
- The Diving Save (randsinrepose.com)
Michael Lopp about the right way to “save” someone who’s decided to quit.
- To Be Productive, Be Prepared (martinrue.com)
Martin Rue explains why preparation is a requirement for motivation.
- Success & Velocity (breakingpoint.substack.com)
Sean Byrnes says you need two metrics in your team: One for success and one for velocity.
- Finding Fulfillment (longform.asmartbear.com)
Jason Cohen has a recipe for fulfilment: Joy, skill & need.
- How to Test (matklad.github.io)
Alex Kladov has some great advice for testing software.
- Things You Should Never Do, Part I (joelonsoftware.com)
Joel Spolsky gives a list of reasons why you probably don’t want to rewrite your software product.
- The Go libraries that never failed us: 22 libraries you need to know (threedots.tech)
Robert Laszczak with an opinionated list of Go libraries you might need — this is super useful for people starting out!
- State Machines III: Type States (blog.yoshuawuyts.com)
Yoshua Wuyts about state machines in Rust, existing challenges and possible language features that would make it easier to work with.
- You Want Modules, Not Microservices (blogs.newardassociates.com)
This post describes the advantages often listed for microservices and why you can achieve most of them with modules in your application.
Cutting Room Floor
- The Dangers of Elite Projection (humantransit.org)
Jarrett Walker about the results of elites making decisions for many people that are only useful for them.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.