- What "Work" Looks Like (blog.jim-nielsen.com)
Jim Nielsen about what work looks like and why work away from a computer can be real work as a tech worker.
- What a Healthy Team Looks Like (hpdailyrant.medium.com)
Hà Phan has seven qualities of healthy teams.
- Conway's Law (martinfowler.com)
Martin Fowler about Conway’s Law, how an organisation structure is reflected in the systems it designs.
- How to communicate effectively as a developer (karlsutt.com)
Karl Sutt has some great tactical advice for writing as an engineer.
- user-defined iteration using range over func values (github.com)
Russ Cox proposed an iterator in Go.
- Do we need a "Rust Standard"? (blog.m-ou.se)
Mara Bos about a possible Rust specification and standard (similar to C or C++).
- Shell Script Best Practices (sharats.me)
Shrikant has an opinionated guide to shell scripts.
- How Meta, Google, Github and others leverage HTTP conditional requests to build robust REST APIs (quadratic.fm)
Ilija Eftimov has case studies in how tech giants support If-Modified-Since and other HTTP preconditions.
- What if the team hates my functional code? (jrsinclair.com)
James Sinclair explains why you should write your code for the right audience, just like a writer.
- H.264 is magic: a technical walkthrough of a remarkable technology. (sidbala.com)
Sid Bala explains why H264 is as good as it is.
- Passkeys as a tool for user retention (matduggan.com)
Mathew Duggan explains why vendor lock-in is an issue with the new Passkeys standard.
Cutting Room Floor
- No, you're not entitled to your opinion (theconversation.com)
Patrick Stokes explains why not everyone is entitled to an opinion.
- Elon Musk’s planned Twitter layoffs are imminent (washingtonpost.com)
Faiz Siddiqui, Elizabeth Dwoskin and Gerrit De Vynck explain what’s going on at Twitter in the recent days.
- Welcome to hell, Elon (theverge.com)
Nilay Patel explains the trouble Elon will get into with his goals to allow all free speech on Twitter.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.