Welcome back to Arne’s Weekly! I had an amazing time in Barcelona, hope you’re doing well too ✌🏻
Tweet of the Week
i used to be young and cool and now when it rains i say things like “this is good. we needed this” — @elykreimendahl
- Electric Bike, Stupid Love of My Life (craigmod.com)
Craig Mod writes an ode to electric bikes so compelling that I want to buy one now.
- An end to doomerism (bigthink.com)
Dr. Hannah Ritchie about pessimism and why realistic optimism is more productive.
- How does the Russo-Ukrainian War end? (snyder.substack.com)
Timothy Snyder about a possible ending of the war that they argue is way more
- OOPS! Learning from the incident you didn't have (learningfromincidents.io)
An article about learning from surprises instead of incidents.
- Aging programmer (world.hey.com)
Jorge Manrubia about his experience as a 40-year old programmer.
- Microsoft exec: My 2-step rule for having hard conversations at work (cnbc.com)
Morgan Smith about Chris Capossela’s system for hard conversations.
- Go runtime: 4 years later (go.dev)
Michael Knyszek lists past improvements of the Go runtime and introduces the new soft memory limit configuration.
- JMAP: It’s like IMAP But Not Really (unencumberedbyfacts.com)
Jason Munro about the JMAP protocol and why it’s so much better than IMAP.
- New integer types I'd like to see (foonathan.net)
Jonathan about new integer types that could make some problems go away (e.g. by being symmetric).
- Turns are Better than Radians (computerenhance.com)
Casey Muratori argues that you shouldn’t use radians in code.
- Why Async Rust (blog.yoshuawuyts.com)
Yoshua Wuyts about the benefits of the async architecture in Rust.
- My first time using Rust "for real" (blog.vivekpanyam.com)
Vivek Panyam shares the perspective of an experienced C++ engineer using Rust.
- Hard Mode Rust (matklad.github.io)
Aleksey Kladov writes a ray-tracer in Rust without dynamic memory allocation.
- A quick reference guide for the Pythonista in the process of becoming a Rustacean (github.com)
Bruno Rocha has an extensive guide to learn Rust coming from Python.
Cutting Room Floor
- My Trip to Space Filled Me With ‘Overwhelming Sadness’ (variety.com)
William Shatner became the oldest living person to travel into space, but experienced the “Overview Effect”.
- The rise of the crypto influencer and the fall of truth (protos.com)
This article exposes some of the shady tactics of ”crypto influencers“,
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.