Hey hey, starting with this issue I’ll count the number of clicks. No personal data whatsoever is recorded, just the issue number and the url. If you run into any issues with this, please let me know by replying to this email. As always, enjoy todays curation! ✌🏻
- Excuse me but why are you eating so many frogs (experimentalhistory.substack.com)
Adam Mastroianni about the productivity gurus telling you to “eat more frogs” and people following that without thinking about what makes them happy.
- Build Your Career on Dirty Work (staysaasy.com)
This article gives the career advice of embracing the “dirty work” like on-call or QA.
- What Makes a Senior Engineer? Writing Software vs Building Systems (codewithstyle.info)
Miłosz Piechocki explains why more senior engineers think in systems and gives concrete examples.
- ZeroBanana – Senior Engineers are Living in the Future (zerobanana.com)
Zane Bitter explains why it sometimes seems like more senior engineers live in the future.
- Why David Yach Loves Go (cloud.google.com)
David Yach (Director of Engineering at Google Cloud) writes a love letter to Go.
- Donald Knuth - The Patron Saint of Yak Shaves (yakshav.es)
Florian Gilcher about Donald Knuth and all the yak shaved it took to finally get to LaTeX.
- QR codes (typefully.com)
Dan Hollick explains how a QR code works. Thanks, Lukas!
- Prompt injection attacks against GPT-3 (simonwillison.net)
Simon Willison about AI prompt injection, a completely new hack.
- Shortest URLs on the Internet (jameswillia.ms)
James Williams about top-level domain name resolution.
- A pair of Rust kernel modules (lwn.net)
Jonathan Corbet describes the first two real-world kernel modules that have been written in Rust.
Cutting Room Floor
- This is How the Media is Misleading You on “Technology Addiction” (nirandfar.com)
Siri Helle about the myths of too much screen time leading to depression and other myths. Thanks, Eric!
- Say Hello to Crazy Thin ‘Deep Insert’ ATM Skimmers (krebsonsecurity.com)
This article is about new type of super-thin ATM skimmers and how they work.
- Uncharted waters: what startups can learn from pirates about compensation (devonzuegel.com)
Devon Zuegel about the similarities of startups and pirates.
- iPhone 14 Pro Camera Review: Scotland (austinmann.com)
Austin Mann reviews the iPhone 14 Pro camera(s) and gives advice for photographers using it.
- Most People Won't (bryce.vc)
A post about making leaps and changing everything, and a story about the Uber CEO.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.