Tweet of the Week
not-wanting-people-to-get-mad-at-me-driven development — @mycoliza on Twitter
- The Habits of Sustainable Excellence (bstulberg.medium.com)
Brad Stulberg lists 19 habits for sustainable excellence.
- The Structure and Process Fallacy (medium.com)
Nick Tune about the structure and process fallacy; thinking a reorg alone will make the company more efficient.
- What happens when you press a key in your terminal? (jvns.ca)
Julia Evans about terminal history, escape codes and the quirks of a 40-year old standard.
- Some Thoughts on Zig (v5.chriskrycho.com)
Chris Krycho lists reasons people like Zig even with the lack of memory safety.
- Building a Rust Mentality (slightknack.dev)
Isaac Clayton about designing software with Rust’s strengths in mind.
- SOC2: The Screenshots Will Continue Until Security Improves (fly.io)
Thomas Ptacek tells the story of implementing SOC2 at Fly.io.
- Soft Deletion Probably Isn't Worth It (brandur.org)
Brandur argues that soft-deletion is mostly complicating things, actually undeleting something happens very rarely.
- A Little Story About the `yes` Unix Command (endler.dev)
Matthias Endler tries to implement the unix
yescommand in an efficient way, which is more complicated than you probably thin
- Improving “Extract Function” in Rust Analyzer (dorianlistens.com)
Dorian Scheidt about a recent change he contributed to rust-analyzer.
- How Did REST Come To Mean The Opposite of REST? (htmx.org)
This article is about JSON-RPC APIs wrongly being called REST APIs nowadays and what a real REST API actually looks like.
Cutting Room Floor
- Things you're allowed to do (milan.cvitkovic.net)
Milan Cvitkovic has a cool list of things that you’re allowed to do, but didn’t know you were or didn’t even think about it.
- Magnus Carlsen to give up World Championship title (chess24.com)
Interesting story happening in the world of chess: Magnus Carlsen won’t play another tournament after being world champion for 10 years.
- Oliver Burkeman's last column: the eight secrets to a (fairly) fulfilled life (theguardian.com)
Oliver Burkeman has eight secrets to a fulfilled life.
- Analyzing iOS 16 Lockdown Mode: Browser Features and Performance (sevarg.net)
Russell Graves goes into detail on the new lockdown mode coming in iOS 16. TL;DR: you should enable it.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.