Tweet of the Week
Shout out to everyone who periodically drags everything on their desktop into a folder called "Stuff". — @seldo on Twitter
- Models are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise (jchyip.medium.com)
Jason Yip about the importance of asking why instead of just copying.
- I Miss Heroku's DevEx (christine.website)
Xe about the magical DX of Heroku and why nothing comes close to it.
- Things I don't want to do to grow my side project (wagslane.dev)
Lane Wagner about things they don’t want to do (but might have to) when working on their side project, i.e. taxes, content creation and marketing.
- Alex Cornell on Twitter (twitter.com)
Alex Cornell Tweets about design details of the new podcast player in the Substack app. Thanks, Jan!
- Our Experience Porting the YJIT Ruby Compiler to Rust (shopify.engineering)
Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert shares the experience her team made porting a compiler to Rust, including FFI and recursive trees.
- Demystifying Rust Embedded HAL Split and Constrain Methods (apollolabsblog.hashnode.dev)
Omar Hiari about hardware abstraction layers and other Embedded Rust concepts.
- Earn $200K by fuzzing for a weekend (secret.club)
addison explains how they found critical bugs by fuzzing (using Rust) and earned $200k.
- Safer Enums (npf.io)
Nate Finch introduces a safer way to do enums in Go, using structs instead of string or int.
- testscript, a hidden gem the Go team kept locked away — go get it #002 (encore.dev)
Aandré Erikkson about a new way to write tests in Go that involve files.
- Of Ducks and Go Interface Misuse (8thlight.com)
Bart Bucknill about the correct way to use Interfaces in Go.
- Changing one character wildly improved our application's performance (segment.com)
Kevin Burke tells the story of how changing the operator in a sort function led to a 3.3x speed increase.
Cutting Room Floor
- Researchers Pinpoint Reason Infants Die From SIDS (biospace.com)
Researches finally found the reason for SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome): It’s a brain enzyme deficiency.
- why do you waste so much time on the internet. (zan.bearblog.dev)
zanlog about spending time on social media and the struggle to get away
- Cautionary Tales from Cryptoland (hbr.org)
Thomas Stackpole interviews Molly White, the creator of Web3 is going just great on her views on the topic.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.