Hey, how’s it going? ✌🏻
Tweet of the Week
truly blessed day — @tmandry
- Contemplating calendars (devonzuegel.com)
Devon Zuegel has an interesting way to use their calendar and seems to get way more out of it than the average person.
- The complexity of knowledge and skill transfer (danluu.com)
Dan Luu about the importance of experience in the software engineering field.
- @lilykonings on Twitter (twitter.com)
Lily Konings has five questions to ask your future manager back in your interview.
- Technical Feasibility (biodigitaljazz.tech)
Tim Reynolds describes the job of a tech lead, arguing that feasibility should be the central theme.
- The Biggest Mistake I See Engineers Make (web.archive.org)
Zach Lloyd about the problem with engineers working on a big or important project without involving their team.
- Go is about to get a whole lot faster (dominictobias.medium.com)
Dominic Tobias ported a library to new generics and the benchmarks show a 2-3x increase.
- Tutorial: Getting started with generics (go.dev)
The official Go tutorial to get started with generics, one of the most exciting (and controversal) features ever for the language.
- I'm porting tsc to Go (kdy1.dev)
DongYoon Kang explains why he chose to rewrite the TypeScript Type Checker in Go instead of Rust.
- Hosting my static sites with nginx (jvns.ca)
Julia Evans explains her infrastructure and deployment setup for the websites they host.
- The Curse of NixOS (blog.wesleyac.com)
Wesley Aptekar-Cassels about NixOS and it’s flaws, but also why he can’t go back.
- Prefer to change the code rather than write a workaround (catern.com)
Spencer Baugh makes the point that unless you have a valid excuse (which you most likely don’t have), you should fix code instead of working around it.
Cutting Room Floor
- A Science Experiment: published! (berthub.eu)
Bert Hubert has a list of tips to get your paper published in a journal as an outsider.
- Yet Another Hot Take on “Folders versus Tags” (eleanorkonik.com)
Eleanor Konik prefers folders to tags in his slip-box.
- Buy Things, Not Experiences (write.as)
Harold Lee in an argument against the trend to “buy experiences, not things”.
- nft-to-silly-jpeg (github.com)
Kevin Wong created a browser extension that replaces the term “nft” with “silly jpeg” and I’m here for it.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.