Hi, how is your weekend going? This issue is a bit slimmer and has no favorites section as we’ve spent the weekend visiting family (I‘m writing this from the car on the way back). Hope you enjoy nonetheless!
- Stop Looking For Mentors (staysaasy.com)
Stay SaaSy says it‘s better to look for people that can answer your questions instead of a mentor.
- It's all gravy (chris.manson.ie)
Chris Manson on Open Source development and how contributors who are already going “above and beyond” should not feel pressured in any way.
- netaddr.IP: a new IP address type for Go (tailscale.com)
Brad Fitzpatrick explains the difference approaches of replacing Go‘s
net.IP, making it more performant and comparable.
- Do-nothing scripting: the key to gradual automation (blog.danslimmon.com)
Dan Slimmon has great advice for automating complex tasks.
- ‘Trojan Source’ Bug Threatens the Security of All Code (krebsonsecurity.com)
KrebsOnSecurity about a way to use Unicode to smuggle unwanted code changes into projects.
- Making Emacs popular again (lwn.net)
Jake Edge summarizes the internal discussion of making Emacs more approachable.
- How do you tell if a problem is caused by DNS? (jvns.ca)
Julia Evans has some ways to debug problems to figure out if items caused by DNS or not.
- Signatures: The secret behind modern end-to-end encryption (kerkour.com)
Sylvain Kerkour explains modern end-to-end-encryption.
- Practical Nix Flakes (serokell.io)
Alexander Bantyev wrote one of the few good introductions to Nix Flakes.
- s3-credentials: a tool for creating credentials for S3 buckets (simonwillison.net)
Simon Willison build a tool I‘ll definitely use in the future: Create S3 credentials with one command.
Cutting Room Floor
- The Data Behind New York's Increasingly Dirty Electricity Peaks (stevegattuso.me)
Steve Gattuso shows the data on New York electricity and how dirty it gets on peaks.
- Alt-J: ‘Feeling unsafe is something that’s quite foreign for men’ (theguardian.com)
Leonie Cooper interviews alt-J who have a new album coming up in February.
- Modifying my Gaggia Classic Espresso machine (calbryant.uk)
Cal Bryant explains how he modded his coffee machine to achieve consistent perfect coffee.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.