Hey, hope you’re well. Enjoy this weeks selection ✌🏻
Tweet of the Week
Want to get ahead in life? Start _genuinely_ rooting for others to succeed. It's as simple as that. — @sahilbloom
- IoT Hacking and Rickrolling My High School District (whitehoodhacker.net)
A story of a small team rickrolling their entire High School District (of over 11 thousand students).
- Speed matters (scattered-thoughts.net)
Jamie Brandon writes that the most important thing to focus on improving is how fast you can work.
- How I got my startup to #1 on both Product Hunt and Hacker News by accident (levels.io)
Pieter Levels about the NomadList project and its history.
- What is your labor worth? Tech compensation in 2021 (jacobian.org)
Jacob Kaplan-Moss about tech compensation and how to find out if you’re underpaid.
- Growth vs. Efficiency (jayriverlong.github.io)
Jay Riverlong on a trade-off that you can find everywhere.
- How to Evaluate Startup Offers (faingezicht.com)
Avy Faingezicht has a beginners guide on startup offers (shares, cash, etc.).
- Neural Networks from Scratch - an interactive guide (aegeorge42.github.io)
Allison George created an interactive guide to learn Neural Networks.
- NixOS in the Cloud, step-by-step: part 1 (justinas.org)
Justinas Stankevičius has a tutorial to set up NixOS on a Digital Ocean virtual machine. Make sure to check out part 2 as well!
- Rust and GCC, two different ways (lwn.net)
Jonathan Corbet about the different approaches to use gcc as a Rust compiler (instead of the currently-supported LLVM).
- Making slow Rust code fast (patrickfreed.github.io)
Patrick Freed explains how he improved the performance of his Rust crate, using benchmarks and flame graphs to find slow paths.
Cutting Room Floor
- The planet survived six hours without Facebook. Let's make it longer next time (theregister.com)
Rupert Goodwins about the Facebook downtime and how Facebook has no essential service.
- Invisible asymptotes (eugenewei.com)
Eugene Wei about invisible asymptotes (i.e. reasons for growth stagnation) at various Silicon Valley companies and how to detect them.
- Solar-powered aircraft flown for nearly three weeks without landing (eandt.theiet.org)
Jack Loughran about the Airbus aircraft that could potentially stay airborne for up to six months.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.