18 / Apple’s Mistake
Let's try something new this week: Reply to this email and tell me what article you liked the most this week, I'd love to hear from you! As always, enjoy 🐬
Tweet of The Week
If I could explain what having kids is like, it’s basically like being on-call for six years so far. — @vboykis on Twitter
- Apps Getting Worse (tbray.org) — Tim Bray thinks apps are getting worse and he has a theory on why.
- POSH: A Data-Aware Shell (micahlerner.com) — Micah Lerner about a new distributed, data-aware shell.
- Bloom Filters - Much, much more than a space efficient hashmap! (boyter.org) — Ben E. C. Boyter about Bloom filters, popular use cases and their alternatives.
- Writing great alt text: Emotion matters — Jake Archibald about how to write good alt text.
- So you want to write a GUI framework (cmyr.net) — Colin Rofls about the must-have components in GUI frameworks and some of the complications you'll run into.
- Rust in Production: Qovery (serokell.io) —Gints Dreimanis about their experience of Rust in production.
- Complex Procedural Rust Macros (getsynth.com) — Andre Bogus about complex procedural macros in Rust and what to look out for.
- Rust GUI Infrastructure (cmyr.net) — Colin Rofls about Druid, the GUI framework he's writing in Rust and what crates and components are useful.
Cutting Room Floor
- Climate change: IPCC report is 'code red for humanity' - BBC News (bbc.com) — Matt McGrath about the recent IPCC report code and why it's so serious.
- One Bad Apple — Dr. Neal Krawetz talks about the (likely) technical implementation and alternatives of Apple CSAM.
- Apple’s Mistake (stratechery.com) — Ben Thompson has a more technical view on Apple CSAM than Krawetz, but comes to the same conclusion: It's too invasive.
- The Parallel-Parking Job That Ignited the Internet (curbed.com) — P. E. Moskowitz about a harmless tweet that got a bit too much attention.
- The Simple Life of Humans (hackernoon.com) — Adrian H. Raudaschl about simplicity and why things shouldn't get too simple.
- Minimal Maintenance (lapsuslima.com) — Shannon Mattern about the limits of growth.
- The Ancient Persian way to keep cool (bbc.com) — Kimiya Shokoohi about the bâdgir, or wind catcher, a cost-efficient and green form of cooling.
- The Evolution of Trust (ncase.me) — Nicky Case created an interactive game about trust in a society.
- Messaging and Chat Control (patrick-breyer.de) — Patrick Breyer about the EU's decision to allow providers to search trough all private chats and messages and emails and how it will affect you.
Get the newsletter in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.