Hey hey, how was your week? ✌🏻
Toot of the Week
Don't forget tonight, weather permitting, the Moon will be visible from Earth. The last time this happened was last night. — @firstname.lastname@example.org
Articles I've written
- 30 Bits of Advice for 30 Years (arne.me)
This article contains some advice I’ve collected in my life so far.
- We Need to Bring Back Webrings (arne.me)
I built a webring for personal websites called Fire Chicken Webring and explain why.
- Archive Your Old Projects (arne.me)
In this post I describe how I wish I had archived all my old projects and my approach going forward.
- Some notes on nix flakes (jvns.ca)
Julia Evans shares their experience with Nix flakes.
- Rust without crates.io (thomask.sdf.org)
Thomas Karpiniec explores using Debian packages instead of crates.io for Rust.
- Signals vs. Servers (blog.adamchalmers.com)
Adam Chalmers about the problems of reloading a program with
SIGHUPand the benefits of using HTTP instead.
- Push Ifs Up And Fors Down (matklad.github.io)
Alex Kladov shares two programming rule of thumbs for better readability and better performance.
Cutting Room Floor
- We don’t do DST at this company (blog.backslasher.net)
Nitzan tells the story where a company had to update all the clocks on every switch to DST to keep the old time.
- How to Build Trust (jacobian.org)
Jacob Kaplan-Moss shares advice for managers to build trust (and what to avoid).
- How do I know if I'm doing it right? (katydecorah.com)
Katy DeCorah about steps that can help you verify your direction when learning a new skill.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.