Hey hey, how was your week? 🤗
Toot of the Week
When your #Rust build times get slower after adding some procedural macros: We call that the syn tax :ferris: — @email@example.com
- The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Must Know About Unicode in 2023 (Still No Excuses!) (tonsky.me)
Nikita Prokopov gives a nice overview of the inner workings and common pitfalls of Unicode.
- Scrollbars are becoming a problem (artemis.sh)
Artemis complains about the accessibility issues in modern scroll bars and shows a few ways (mostly Linux) to make them better.
- Can't Be F*cked: Underrated Cause of Tech Debt (jesseduffield.com)
Jesse Duffield about one cause of tech debt: If you “can’t be fucked” to maintain the code, write tests, etc.
Cutting Room Floor
- I wrote the book on user-friendly design. What I see today horrifies me (fastcompany.com)
Don Norman about design shortcomings for elderly people.
- Reverse-engineering the mechanical Bendix Central Air Data Computer (righto.com)
Ken Shirriff reverse-engineers a mechanical flight computer for fighter planes from the 1950.
- Notes on “Taste” (are.na)
Brie Wolfson explains taste and how to acquire it.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.