Hi everyone, how was your week? ✌🏻
Toot of the Week
It's called the Metaverse because it has mostly been Met with Averse reactions— @email@example.com
- The seven programming ur-languages (madhadron.com)
madhadron introduces you to 7 ur-languages with unique characteristics and examples that build on them which are in-use today.
- What is Type-Level Programming? (blog.sulami.xyz)
Robin Schroer explains the benefits of type-level programming.
- How To Design Software Architecture For Startups (appventuretime.blog)
Christoph Burnicki shares their experience and recommendations designing a software architecture for a startup.
- Go with PHP (gowithphp.com)
Mohamed Said argues that PHP is a good language to build with (even in 2023).
- Modern iOS Navigation Patterns (frankrausch.com)
Frank Rausch gives an overview of modern iOS navigation patterns.
- Where Is the Spring Framework for Go? (preslav.me)
Preslav Rachev is longing for a full web framework for Go and I can’t say I disagree.
- The .zip TLD sucks and it needs to be immediately revoked. (financialstatement.zip)
Karen makes a point on the dangers of the new
- See this page fetch itself, byte by byte, over TLS (subtls.pages.dev)
George MacKerron built a website that explains how TLS works, by fetching itself.
- Stop Using Hamburger Menus (bt.ht)
Brad Taunt provides an alternative to hamburger menus.
- Every blend mode explained (sketch.com)
Gabrielle van Welie explains different blend modes and gives real-world examples for some of them.
- Why Chatbots Are Not the Future (wattenberger.com)
Amelia Wattenberger explains why chatbots are a terrible interface for LLMs and what to do instead.
- Google "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" (semianalysis.com)
Dylan Patel and Afzal Ahmad share a leaked document by a Google researcher about the “stable diffusion” moment of LLMs.
- Delimiters won’t save you from prompt injection (simonwillison.net)
Simon Willison explains why delimiters (the technique recommended by OpenAI) is not an effective protection against prompt injection.
- ChatFished: How to Lose Friends and Alienate People With A.I. (nytimes.com)
Emma Goldberg wrote all her digital communication using ChatGPT for one week and shares her experience.
Cutting Room Floor
- The four-day workweek is just the start: Experts say it should be even shorter (businessinsider.com)
Shubham Agarwal has had a four-day workweek for 5 years and shares their experience and recent studies about the benefits.
- In Norway, the Electric Vehicle Future Has Already Arrived (nytimes.com)
Jack Ewing explains the effects of 80 % of new-car sales being electric in Norway, proving critics of electric cars wrong.
- Testing a new encrypted messaging app's extraordinary claims (crnkovic.dev)
crnkovic takes a closer look at Converso, an app which claims being able to send end-to-end encrypted messages without servers or metadata. Spoiler: There’s servers, metadata and you can get everyone’s private key. Thanks, Gord!
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.