Hey hey, how’s it going? ✌🏻
Toot of the Week
The difference between NPR and Twitter is that NPR is intentionally a non-profit. #NPR — @MissingThePt@mastodon.social
- How the Push for Efficiency Changes Us (explorewhatworks.com)
Tara McMullin about the tech industry’s push for efficiency and why more efficiency is not always good.
- Is Critical Thinking the Most Important Skill for Software Engineers? (blog.pragmaticengineer.com)
Gergely Orosz about critical thinking, why it’s an important skill and how to apply it.
- Excuse me, is there a problem? (longform.asmartbear.com)
Jason Cohen explains that there’s more to startup success than solving a problem and goes into detail explaining the different factors.
- Recreating the title effect from creativesouth.com (rachsmith.com)
- It's time to learn oklch color (keithjgrant.com)
Keith J. Grant introduces you to the oklch color model and explains why it’s superior to hsl and others.
- Offline Is Just Online With Extreme Latency (blog.jim-nielsen.com)
Jim Nielsen summarises a talk by Peter Van Hardenberg, who argues that instead of online vs offline software, it should be seen as a spectrum of latencies. Thanks, Lukas!
- A love letter to make (kmaasrud.com)
The author writes a letter to the build tool, praising its reliability among other features.
- Load Balancing (samwho.dev)
Sam Rose explains different load balancing algorithms, from round robin to PEWMA.
- Watch the first demo of buzzy startup Humane’s wearable AI assistant in leaked clips (theverge.com)
JonPorter collected leaked clips from a TED talk by Humane co-founder Imran Chaudhri. Thanks, Jan!
- To understand AI sentience, first understand it in animals (aeon.co)
Kristin Andrews & Jonathan Birch have written an essay about sentience; how unexplored it really is and the N=1 problem.
- Prompt injection: What’s the worst that can happen? (simonwillison.net)
Simon Wilson about the worst-Case scenarios of prompt leak attacks with LLMs.
Cutting Room Floor
- This is what it looks like to be colorblind (theverge.com)
Andy Baio shares life from their perspective as a colourblind person.
- Career Advice No One Gave Me: Give a Lot of Notice When You Quit (davidlaprade.github.io)
David Laprade about the benefits to everyone when you quit with a lot of notice and do a “phased exit plan”.
- Space Elevator (neal.fun)
Turn on the sound and enjoy this ride to space, showing your the altitudes of planes, rockets, and balloons and more.
- You'd Be Happier Living Closer to Friends. Why Don't You? (annehelen.substack.com)
Anne Helen Petersen asks why people don’t live closer to friends (i.e. in the same street).
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.