Hey hey, how was your week? ✌🏻
Toot of the Week
and the brain-genius typed "no one would do anything without a profit motive!" and hit send on a button rendered by an open source front end framework firing off an event handled by an open source programming language that sends a packet in a format conforming to an open specification over a protocol developed at universities with public funding until it reaches a web server running an open source operating system that files the hot take away into an open source database for safe keeping — @firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bricks of Love: create purpose and engagement with weekly updates (world.hey.com)
João Alves about a way to create motivation by providing purpose through weekly updates.
- How to use ADRs (Thread) (mastodon.social)
Kevlin Henney has some tricks for effective ADRs (Architecture Decision Records).
- 20 Things I've Learned in my 20 Years as a Software Engineer (simplethread.com)
Justin Etheredge has 20 pieces of great advice for software engineers.
- Use the Wrong Tool for the Job (buttondown.email)
Hillel Wayne about using complexity and what it means to use the “right” tool.
- Examples of problems with integers (jvns.ca)
Julia Evans asked on Mastodon and collected 9 examples of problems with integers.
- Fallible - The Lost Sibling of Result and Option (datavirke.dk)
Mathias Pius about the rarely used
Fallible<T>type in Rust.
- Rust concepts I wish I learned earlier (rauljordan.com)
Raul Jordan about a bunch of Rust concepts they wish they learned earlier.
Cutting Room Floor
- Someone stole my car and now I own hundreds of vinyl records (mkaic.substack.com)
Kai Christensen explains how they became a Vinylhead because their car got stolen.
- The Quest for a Dumber Phone (every.to)
Fadeke Adegbuyi about digital minimalism, it’s perks and it’s challenges.
- Inside Elon’s “extremely hardcore” Twitter (theverge.com)
Zoe Schiffer, Casey Newton and Alex Heath tell the story of the Twitter acquisition and the shitshow that followed.
- The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget (kentnerburn.com)
Kent Nerburn tells the story of a sweet cab ride that made a big impact on their life.
Get Arne's Weekly in your inbox every Sunday. No ads, no shenanigans.